History & Heritage
All Saints’ Church, Marlow, is known as the
Church by the Bridge
Though there was a church located beside the River Thames in Marlow as early as 1070, the present Parish Church of All Saints is a Victorian creation, built after the spire of the old church collapsed in 1831. The old building was demolished, and a new church constructed of Bath stone topped by a graceful spire soaring 170 above the town. The new church was opened in 1835, with further amendments and additions made to the building in the 1860/70s.
Nearby Marlow Bridge, designed by William Tierney Clark, was built between 1829 and 1832. The combination of church and bridge form one of the most unforgettable Thames sights.
In recent times, the church building has undergone many improvements, including the addition of a kitchenette, clergy vestry, creche room, multiple toilets, meeting room, accessible entrance, and upgraded sound & vision system; so that today it is a modern church reaching out to all.
The much visited building is used for regular worship, baptisms, weddings, funerals and other celebrations and remembrances. In addition, the building is a large and accessible community facility that is used for a wide variety of activities, including civic services, concerts and school visits.
A virtual tour of the inside of the church building, including the ringing chamber, can be found at https://4u-team.org/churches/all-saints-marlow/virtual-tour/